Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2012

Fasting

We are part of an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G growth group through our church, Cedar Ridge Christian Church. I love the couples that have become such an integral part of my Christian walk. I love the readings, teaching, the discussions & depth shared within. I love the shared prayer requests and the privilege of praying for others requests. But what I may love most is the encouragement and accountability we share with one another. Recently a particular couple made the decision to partake in the Daniel Fast. If you aren't familiar, you can read more here. They didn't challenge others to participate, but what they did do is ask that others would come alongside of them and partner in prayer during their time of fasting. I was amazed at how others returned the following week to say that they had decided as individuals or as a couple to also commit to the fast. Not just the diet part, but also establishing prayer & other "fasting" commitments during the period as well. Did I personally consider doing the fast? Nope. Not me. I knew in my heart of hearts I would fail. I am admitting my shortcomings and am not proud of it. For those of you who really know me well, you will know that I have food issues. Don't misread that. I am not and have never been an anorexic, bulimic or anything of the sorts. When I state I have food issues, I mean I eat A LOT and have no self control when it comes to food restraint. The flesh part of me became jealous of those who had the will, determination and dedication to advance with the Daniel Fast but the drive in me said, "What is something else that I 'serve' or that has control over me that I can fast from?" Want to know how long it took for me to answer that? Point two seconds! So the fasting began and the fasting has ended with LARGE SUCCESS. I chose to fast or abstain from my daily Dr. Pepper intake, any & all interaction with Facebook and Pinterest. These things may seem small to some, but to me they were holding me a prisoner in my daily life. I had the impulsive NEED to have my DP with lunch everyday, I was hostage to the ease and access of my smart phone being readily available to check or update my status on Facebook multiple many times a day, I fell into the trap of wanting more, desiring talents that others had, etc through the eye of Pinterest. I began my fast on Monday February 20th and ended Monday March 12th. I didn't have a DP until Tuesday and you know what? It wasn't satisfying. In fact I threw 1/2 of it out. I did log back into Pinterest on Wednesday of this week and am going to limit my time and use of it in the future. As for Facebook, I am going to continue "fasting" from it through the lent season and reevaluate at that time. It has been pretty amazing to me that God has completely removed that compulsive "need" from me. Will I return to FB? Most likely yes. I love keeping up with my previous school mates, out of town friends, relatives, etc. I enjoy seeing their photos and learning about what life is throwing their way through reading their statuses. What did I gain from my time of fasting? More quality time with my family, a cleaner more organized home, more energy (no lie), and increased self worth. I spent the time that I used to get sucked into FB and/or Pinterest doing my daily women's Bible study reading, our weekly chapter assignment reading for our growth group, having more meaningful conversations with friends, I cooked and baked more (the fam' would say praise Jesus to this), and just generally had more time to be
And it {fasting} was good! God is good!

No comments: