Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring Break Festivities

Spring Break breakdown:
Monday we started Spring Break off right with donuts at KC Donut with some of the kids favorite friends, Tatum & Evan, followed by a fun filled outing to Zonkers at The Great Mall.
We have frequented Zonkers several times, but this el cheapo momma has only allowed the kids to play in the free play zone area. Spring Break found me feeling generous (cough). Rene and I split the daily deal which allowed each of the four older kids two rides each and five game tokens plus a large pizza and four soft drinks. Somehow luck have it the girls hit the jackpot on one of the games which afforded them a truck load of tickets that the bigs quickly cashed in on some junk loot.

Tuesday morning I dropped the kids off with their absolute favorite babysitter, Ms. Heather, and had my annual well women exam. More than you cared to know? I am happy to report, all is well.
Wednesday morning we picked up our neighbor who is also Gabrielle's classmate, Harper, and headed down to Science City at Union Station. We met up with my friend Monika and her daughter Olivia. The kids had a blast at the new Science of Energy exhibit in the big "hamster wheel," playing in the train car at the KC Rail Experience and digging for fossils in the DinoLab Digsite. We packed a sack lunch and played into the early afternoon. The finale was the kids entering the Wild Winds machine not once, but twice. Seeing their expressions and hearing their giggles was priceless. McKenna wasn't even phased by the 78mph peek winds.
Thursday morning found us at another doctor's appointment. This time a filling for #1. I am a floss fanatic!!!! so I take full responsibility for Gabi's need for this filling. The kids floss, but not consistently. I vow to do a better job enforcing flossing from here forward.
We rounded out the week with travels North to my home state of Iowa. We made a brief stop in my hometown of Primghar - The Only Primghar in the World - to drop my mom off at her lifelong besties house where she was staying for the weekend.
Fun fact: Our family will return to Primghar this summer to participate in the Quasquicentennial celebration and my 20th class reunion gathering. Before you hit up google in search of what the heck Quasquicentennial refers to, it is our little towns 125th birthday celebration. I remember back 25 years ago participating in the 100th birthday celebration on cobblestone paved streets.
We stayed in Spencer with the Conlon's.
More on our time with them soon.
We hit the highways back to KC on Monday but not without a stop in Council Bluffs at DQ for a late lunch and ice cream.
Dear DQ,
There is something truly magical about you. You are the perfect sweet treat all year round. 
Signed, One Family addicted to Ice Cream 
This was our view out back that greeted us at home. KC got another approximately 9 inches of snow Saturday into Sunday.

I'm so thankful for Spring Break. For time off from providing childcare to focus on my kids. For dear friends. For wonderful, attentive doctors. For the companionship and time of connection with my mom during our time on the road to and from Iowa. For a quiet time of resting for Daddy. For safe travels. For welcome arms from Mary, the Morris's & Conlon family. And honestly, I'm thankful that school reconvened on Tuesday and I jumped right back into my normal routine and schedule.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Thanks for sharing, what a fun-filled week you had planned for the kiddo's. Gabi and Dawson should give you a big 'thank you". Christine, you are a good mother. Love, GG

Phyllis said...

Thanks for sharing, what a fun-filled week you had planned for the kiddo's. Gabi and Dawson should give you a big 'thank you". Christine, you are a good mother. Love, GG